Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saturday BANANA BREAD

It seems like I find myself creating a new banana bread recipe every time I have leftover bananas. Often change the nuts. the flours and trying a new trick or two. About a year ago, one of my customers who pays me a visit every month, shared with me about a new banana bread trick he had learnt while out in a ship. Uncle Bill, as I call him told me I must microwave my bananas before mashing them before turning them into bread, the idea made a lot of sense since by doing this step, the bananas would release their nectar before baking, creating a much more flavorful bread, making a big difference in the results.
As we were power walking the produce aisle of the grocery store last night, Sebastian mentioned banana bread and then talked about plantains being the cooking bananas. Surfing the Internet I have tried something new, grasping the idea of a picture online to slice bananas on top and I added a touch by sprinkling turbinado sugar on top of the slice bananas for cameralization.

Saturday banana bread
I found myself with whole wheat pastry flour at home, I will incentive you to choose any kind of flour or even combine for a much richer and flavorful result. Also, if you don't feel like slicing your banana or plantain on top, no need to do this step, I am just trying a new idea! :)

1¾ cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon table salt
5 large very ripe bananas
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
¾ cup packed (5¼ ounces) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 tbsp turbinado sugar
optional: 1 banana or plantain
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your favorite loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
3. Place 5 bananas in a microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in the plastic with a paring knife. Microwave on high power until the bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes.
4. Whisk in the butter, eggs, sugars, and vanilla and add the bananas
5. Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Gently fold in the pecans. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

Slice the remaining banana diagonally. Shingle the banana slices on top of both /sides of the loaf, leaving a 1½-inch-wide space down the center to ensure an even rise. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar evenly over loaf.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.

Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack. cover it with wax paper, allowing it to cool completely. Enjoy!

No comments: